TONY WALKER VISUAL ARTIST
Tony Walker’s expressive contemporary landscape and figurative painting ranges across cultural divides and countries and through urban and remote spaces, from Europe, Oman, Rajasthan, USA, and in Australia – the Kimberley, Central Australia, and home base – South East Queensland.
‘To me it is important to understand the innate character of the subject whether landscape or figurative – the spirit or truth behind the surface image, perhaps the timeless quality – and to present that reality to the viewer.’
Tony has always enjoyed drawing and painting, commencing from his childhood and during school years in his home state of Queensland. His early inspiration was the varied and spectacular landscapes around the coastal region around Brisbane to the remote Carnarvon Ranges area in central Queensland. He continued to paint contemporary impressionist/ expressionist watercolours during his early professional career in urban design and landscape architecture in Australia and overseas.
Moving on from urban design, he became an established artist and tutor in more recent years based in Brisbane and Noosa Heads. His work has interpretive and sometimes surrealist elements, expressive of character and mood, working mainly with watercolour and acrylic, occasionally oil. He has received many distinctions for his painting and drawing. Details and workshop outlines are available on request.
Exhibitions in the last few years include:
- Time///land – Solo Exhib – Breathing Colours Gallery Sydney Australia – May 2014
- Portfolio Oman 2 – solo exhib Muscat Oman Feb 2014
- Outback – group exhib at Percolator Gallery Brisbane, 2012
- Focus3 – a 3 artist exhibition AGRA Gallery Melbourne 2012
- group exhibs various – at Martin Galleries Nundah Brisbane 2009, 2010
- paint and canvas – solo exhibition, Brown Gully Gallery, Roma Qld, August 2010
- paper, paint and canvas – solo exhibition, Outback Regional Gallery, Winton Qld, March-May 2010
- flying upstream – solo exhibition at Oriel Gallery, Ascot, Brisbane, Aug-Sept 2009
- A sunburnt country – two artist exhibition, Graydon Gallery, Brisbane, Qld May 2008
- portfolio Oman -solo exhibition at Al Madina Gallery, Muscat, Oman Dec 2007.
- works on paper 2007 – solo exhibition AGRA Galleries Melbourne 2007
- perceptions – solo exhibition at Gallery Ranfurlie, Melbourne
- tony walker recent paintings – solo exhibition at Graydon Gallery, Brisbane, Qld
- Six Artists – group exhibition at Lovett Gallery, Palm Beach, Gold Coast, Qld.
- Latitudes – solo exhibition at Cooloola Shire Public Gallery, Qld
- from the studio – solo exhibition at Al Madina Gallery, Muscat, Oman Jan 2006.
- GCC International Contemporary Art Exhibition Muscat Oman Jan 2006